The introduction of mini splits to solve our heating and cooling needs has been a gamechanger for so many homeowners. Rooms that were once hard to heat or cool have been made more comfortable because of mini split technology. This easy to install heat pump technology has transformed the way we live - in a very good way.
But like most mechanical systems, your mini split needs periodic maintenance. One of the most compelling reasons to contact your HVAC contractor on a regular basis is the need to keep your system clean and free of dust and mold.
Your mini split’s wall unit extracts air from the inside and exchanges it to output the desired cooler air. In doing so, the unit extracts moisture from the air along with any dust and debris. This extraction of water along with whatever dust, spores or debris that is in the air, provides a breeding ground for mold. Mold can also accumulate in the condensate line that takes the moisture out of the system to drain.
But it is important to understand that mold enters our homes in many different ways.
Mold can enter your home through open doorways, windows, vents, as well as heating and air conditioning systems. Mold in the air outside can also attach itself to clothing, shoes, and pets can and be carried indoors. When mold spores drop on places where there is excessive moisture, such as where leakage may have occurred in roofs, pipes, walls, plant pots, or where there has been flooding, they will grow.
Many building materials provide suitable nutrients that encourage mold to grow. Wet cellulose materials, including paper and paper products, cardboard, ceiling tiles, wood, and wood products, are particularly conducive for the growth of some molds. Other materials such as dust, paints, wallpaper, insulation materials, drywall, carpet, fabric, and upholstery, commonly support mold growth.
Exposure to damp and moldy environments may cause a variety of health effects, or none at all. Some people are sensitive to molds. For these people, exposure to molds can lead to symptoms such as stuffy nose, wheezing, and red or itchy eyes, or skin. Some people, such as those with allergies to molds or with asthma, may have more intense reactions.
Intense reactions to the presence of mold is frequently referred to as biotoxin illness. The term “biotoxin illness” is a general term used to describe any kind of intense reaction to the presence of mold. Most of us have heard about “sick building syndrome” or Pontiac Fever or Legionnaires Disease. These phenomena are all different variations of biotoxin illness. And as the many names imply, the presence of mold affects people in different ways and with different intensity.
The best way to combat biotoxin overgrowth in your mini split is to have it regularly inspected, serviced and cleaned. Your HVAC specialist is specially trained to service your mini split and detect the signs of unusual moisture levels and signs of mold.
If you are lucky enough to be in the Compass Cooling & Heating service area near Milmont, PA, your technician is not only trained in servicing your mini split but can provide customized solutions and consultation for all of your HVAC needs.
Ask yourself this question - “When was the last time you had your HVAC system serviced?”. If the answer is more than a year - then call to schedule your service call today. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.